- J.D. - University of Toronto - 1974
- B.Sc. - University of Toronto - 1971
- TEP - Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Goodmans LLP
- Campbell Godfrey & Lewtas LLP (now Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP)
- Ontario Bar - year of call to the Bar: 1976
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Peel Law Association
- Liberal Party of Canada (Ontario): Chair of Constitutional and Legal Affairs Committee, member of management committee, member of executive board)
- National Legal Chair for a candidate at a Liberal Leadership Convention
- Brampton Board of Trade: Director
fax: (905) 366-9707
Brian Nichols is a founding partner of Speigel Nichols Fox LLP. He represents clients on issues relating to income tax disputes; tax and estate planning; family business succession; shareholder agreements and disputes; amalgamations and other corporate reorganisations; the purchase and sale of corporations or their businesses; and employee buyouts. Brian is experienced in dealing with both the tax and commercial aspects of all of these issues.
In recognition of Brian’s abilities, Lawyer’s Professional Indemnity Company (the lawyers’ insurer) frequently retains Brian to act on behalf of other lawyers who are alleged to have been negligent in the provision of tax related services. Brian’s task is often to “repair” errors that other lawyers have made.
Brian published a paper in which he criticised a legal tax standard that had developed through a series of court decisions. The Supreme Court of Canada considered this legal standard in Stewart v. The Queen, referred to Brian’s paper, and changed the test in the manner that Brian recommended.
When not burying his head in an almost unintelligible Income Tax Act, Brian gets around – usually by ship, a more refined way to travel – to countries all over the world.
- Routinely represents clients with tax issues in amounts ranging from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars
- One of the leading lawyers in Ontario in resolving tax issues by obtaining court orders (binding on the CRA) that correct the provisions of trusts, articles of incorporation, contracts, and other legal documents effective as of the original dates of those documents
- Provides expert opinions on tax issues
- Plans and implements family business succession and estate freezes
- Resolves shareholder disputes, including disputes among family members, without resorting to litigation