- LL.B - Osgoode Hall Law School – 2004
- B.A (Hons.) – University of Windsor
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Thornton Grout Finnigan LLP
- Keel Cottrelle LLP
- Ontario Bar - 2005
- Fluent in Portuguese
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Advocate Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Portuguese Canadian Lawyers Association
fax: (905) 366-9707
Kim Ferreira is an experienced litigator with a diverse commercial litigation practice. Kim tackles each case with a business-focused and common sense approach. His litigation practice includes issues dealing with construction disputes, shareholder disputes, oppression claims, bankruptcies and insolvencies, employment disputes, professional liability claims, and enforcement of creditor rights.
Prior to joining Speigel Nichols Fox LLP, Kim spent a number of years working at a leading and well-respected Bay Street litigation and insolvency boutique. There he worked on a number of nationally recognized litigation and insolvency cases, while simultaneously running his own litigation files and gaining practical advocacy experience. Kim has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario and in the Québec Superior Court and Court of Appeal.
Kim continues to represent clients in diverse multifaceted commercial claims involving breach of contract, breach of statutory duties, negligence, fraud, and other commercial causes of action. Kim’s clients include small businesses, private corporations, auto manufacturers, directors and officers, creditors, and debtor corporations. Kim continues to build on his previous experience in proceedings brought under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
Kim is able to quickly identify the needs and expectations of his clients. He understands that not all disputes need to end in a trial and is a skilled negotiator who, when the circumstances dictate, will negotiate a successful resolution for his clients. He prides himself on delivering business-oriented solutions to the people and corporations he represents. Kim understands that he serves his clients best by ensuring that they are satisfied with the end result.
When Kim is not busy representing his clients’ interests, he is found enjoying his free time as a husband, father, and novice cross fitter (whatever that means).
- Represented a renowned Niagara winery in an application concerning the enforceability of a production agreement;
- Represented a public corporation in a high-profile dispute with the Government of Ontario over the cancellation of the Oakville power plant;
- Represented foreign financial institutions to enforce their contractual rights as against Canadian debtor corporations;
- Represented national tier 1 financial institutions to enforce their legal rights and remedies as against debtors;
- Represented original equipment manufacturers to obtain recovery of their tooling and component parts in respect of financially troubled suppliers;
- Represented accountants in discipline proceedings brought before the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario;
- Represented trustees in bankruptcy in applications brought to deal with undervalued transfers, priority disputes, and fraudulent preferences;
- Represented a committee of contesting bondholders in the BCE privatization, which involved the world’s largest leveraged buy-out with an enterprise value of $52 billion;
- Represented insurance companies in respect of the defence and enforcement of restrictive covenants;
- Represented minority and majority shareholders in respect of the defence and prosecution of oppression proceedings; and
- Represented small business owners in various contractual disputes.
PRO BONO MATTERS
- Board of Directors of the Federation of Portuguese-Canadian Business & Professionals.