- LL.B. – Osgoode Hall Law School – 1986-1989
- Hons. B.A. (with distinction) – Trinity College, University of Toronto – 1982-1986
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Smith, Lyons, Torrance, Stevenson & Mayer (now Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP)
- Ontario Bar
- conversational French
- some Hungarian
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Director of Mississauga Board of Trade (2016 - present)
- Law Society of Upper Canada: drafter of Bar Admissions Exam questions in Civil Litigation (2010 – present)
- Member of the Policy and Government Affairs Committee, Mississauga Board of Trade
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association (past member of Governing Council)
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Peel Law Association (Director and Committee Chair 2002-2011)
- Past Member of Brampton Business and Professional Women’s Club (Director 1997-2000; Past President 2001-2003)
Susanne M. Balpataky
fax: (905) 366-9707
Susanne is an experienced commercial litigator and employment lawyer who has practiced at Speigel Nichols Fox LLP since joining the firm in 1991.
Her commercial litigation practice encompasses a broad range of matters including commercial contract disputes, shareholder disputes, negligence and breach of trust claims, mortgage fraud, and fraudulent conveyances, as well as enforcement of creditors’ rights, bankruptcy and insolvency matters, and estate litigation.
Susanne also has expertise in employment litigation acting for both employers and employees. Her prior experience working at the Ontario Human Rights Commission has proved invaluable in acting for employer respondents in human rights complaints.
Susanne has written articles and spoken on the impact, on employers, of medical marijuana in the workplace as well as the potential employment impact of the legalization of marijuana.
Susanne has appeared as lead counsel on matters before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (including the Commercial List, Bankruptcy Court and Estates Court), the Ontario Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Susanne has also ventured on safari and looked deeply and lovingly into the eyes of a giraffe. She did not do the same with the lions.
- Represented major financial institutions in collection of outstanding commercial and retail debts, including by way of mortgage enforcement proceedings.
- Represented major financial institutions and trustees in numerous proceedings in Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented employers and employees in wrongful dismissal litigation.
- Counsel for respondents in Ontario Human Rights Code complaints.
- Represented small business owners in contract disputes.
- Represented beneficiary under a will in resolution of dependant’s relief claim.
- Involved in several tax litigation matters before Tax Court of Canada.
- Represented plaintiff shareholder in oppression proceedings.
- Represented condominium corporations in enforcement of Condominium Act.
- Represented numerous clients in landlord and tenant proceedings in court and before the Landlord and Tenant Board.
- Represented non-profit housing corporations on various matters.