- J.D. (Dean’s list each year) – University of Toronto - 2005
- B.Sc. (Honours) – Queen’s University - 2001
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Osler Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
- Tough & Podrebarac LLP/Podrebarac Barristers P.C.
- Ontario Bar, 2005
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Advocates’ Society
Timothy M. Morgan
fax: (905) 366-9707
Tim Morgan is a litigator with a focus on commercial matters. He has appeared before all levels of Ontario Courts and has represented businesses of all sizes, from Canada’s largest corporations to privately held, family-run businesses.
Tim spent the beginning of his career at a major downtown firm, working on some of the largest cases in Canada. Prior to joining Speigel Nichols Fox LLP, he practiced at a litigation boutique in downtown Toronto and learned the more practical realities of how to achieve success for his clients. Tim combines the best of both a big and small firm – he has the academic pedigree required at a Bay Street firm and the practical experience of a lawyer who has actually run and litigated his own cases.
Tim has experience in a wide-range of matters, including commercial contract disputes, commercial torts, shareholder disputes, insurance coverage issues, professional negligence, wrongful termination, and contractual interpretation. He also has extensive experience representing clients at mediations and arbitrations and understands that success need not always come through a judge. More importantly, Tim has the experience to take the cases that cannot be settled through to trial.
Tim has written articles, and spoken, on how Canada will regulate the legalization of marijuana. He wants to help businesses navigate the emerging legal issues that come with legalization.
When Tim is not in court he is likely on the court. He is an avid basketball fan and player and firmly believes he could have been a contender if not for a knee injury (and the cruel, unyielding law of gravity).
- Representing subtenants in dispute with landlord over subleases.
- Representing individual defending Mareva and Anton Piller motions.
- Representing homeowners in construction litigation surrounding failed renovations.
- Interlocutory injunction motion for business locked out of premises.
- Interlocutory injunction for small business in dispute over forced sale under Condominium Act.
- Arbitration for shareholder arising out of ownership dispute.
- Rectification and rescission applications to correct lawyers' errors in corporate documents.
- Defence of lawyers in negligence actions.
- Representation of major telecommunications corporation regarding contractual interpretation of service agreements.
- Representation of storage and delivery corporation in litigation involving millions dollars of product spoiled by a temperature deviation in a warehouse.
- Representation of small, privately held corporation in interpretation of asset purchase agreement and non-compete covenants.
- Representation of US software corporation seeking to recover from major Canadian bank for services rendered pursuant to services agreement.
- Representation of part-owner in a technology corporation in litigation relating to ownership.
- Representation of financial institution in wrongful dismissal litigation after a sexual harassment investigation.
- Representation of financial institution in litigation against former employee involved in fraud.
- Representation of Canadian bank in litigation concerning contractual interpretation.
- Representation of both lawyers and clients in actions related to lawyer’s professional negligence, including limitation issues.
- Representation of tobacco manufacturer in litigation concerning ignition-proof cigarettes.
- Representation of small business in Quebec in resisting lawsuit in Ontario based on jurisdictional grounds.
- Representation of beneficiaries in litigation concerning interpretation of will and trust.
- Representation of major charity as intervener in a charter challenge to the blood screening processes of Canadian Blood Services
- Representation of US client in enforcing letters rogatory/ letter of request requiring Canadian witness to attend deposition for litigation in the United States.
- Representation of credit reporting agency.
- Experience in class action litigation, acting for both defendants and plaintiffs.
Pro Bono Matters
- Represented a charity delivering election education to Canadian schools in dispute over ownership and funding agreement.
- Represented property owner in Small Claims Court case involving damage caused by contractor.