- J.D. – University of Toronto: 1982-1985
- B.Sc.– University of Toronto: 1979-1982
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Bassel Sullivan & Leake
- Ontario Bar
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Peel Bench and Bar Committee (2006-2009)
- Peel Law Association: Director (1995-2001); Treasurer (1998-2001)
Ian K. Latimer
fax: (905) 366-9707
Ian Latimer is a commercial litigator with extensive trial and appellate experience. He has been litigating cases at Speigel Nichols Fox LLP since 1987.
Ian’s commercial litigation practice covers a broad spectrum including construction liens and disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, business disputes, residential and commercial real estate disputes, mortgage enforcement, collections, and professional negligence claims.
Ian is also a Deputy Judge of the Small Claims Court at Brampton. He was appointed to that position in August 1997. This position gives him the unique opportunity to appreciate what techniques of advocacy are effective, what techniques are ineffective, and what techniques are so bad that they are counter-productive.
As an aside, Ian is not just Mr. Litigator, every weekend in winter, he slithers into his one-piece, skin-tight suit and races against time and other ski competitors, demonstrating that age is just a state of mind (and a bum knee).
Ian passed on his love for skiing and competition to his daughter, who competed in the Sochi and PyeongChang Olympics.
- Represented general contractors in construction disputes against owners and subtrades
- Represented a large municipality in a $500,000.00 professional negligence case against an appraiser
- Represented a large municipality in a tender case in which the contractor was claiming more than $1M
- Represented an investor in a $1.3 mil construction dispute
- Represented non-profit housing corporations on various matters
- Represented lawyers who were sued for professional negligence
- Represented major financial institutions in mortgage enforcement proceedings and collection of outstanding debts
- Represented numerous clients in landlord and tenant proceedings in court and before the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Represented many small business owners in contractual disputes
- Represented property owners in expropriation proceedings
- While Ian receives a nominal per diem rate of pay when he sits as a Deputy Judge in the Small Claims Court, that rate is so low that, in effect, Ian's time is his contribution to justice in Ontario.