- Juris Doctor (2006) – University of Windsor
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) – Queen's University
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Teplitsky, Colson LLP
- Ontario Bar (2007)
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Advocates' Society
Jennifer J. Lake
fax: (905) 366-9707
Jennifer has significant experience and expertise in a broad range of civil litigation matters arising out of commercial, contractual, real estate, construction, professional negligence, and shareholder disputes. She spent the first 16 years of her career at a well-known litigation boutique in downtown Toronto and is another of our downtown Toronto lawyers who has escaped to Mississauga.
Jennifer is client-focused and results oriented. While Jennifer enjoys zealously advocating for her clients in litigation matters, she is mindful of the significant cost (both financial and personal) to them. Jennifer’s view is that exceptional litigators are exceptional problem solvers first. Problem solving is an art that often requires creative thinking. Jennifer’s goal is to secure the best and most cost-effective result for clients while ensuring that they are aware of, and safeguard against, potential risks and vulnerabilities.
Jennifer is by no means “soft.” Soft people do not get through Navy boot camp. Tough people do. Jennifer served with the Canadian Forces (Naval Reserves) for 6+ years and trained at military units and bases across Canada, including Borden, Esquimalt, Halifax, and Quebec City. Her stint as a Naval Reservist “Intelligence Officer” demonstrates, if nothing else, that she has it.
Jennifer subscribes to the “mind over matter” philosophy with respect to physical pursuits. While not a particularly fast or natural runner (by anyone’s definition), Jennifer has completed 1 ultra-marathon, 6 marathons, and numerous other road and trail races up to 30 km.
Jennifer is also an equine enthusiast who can be seen on weekends towing her trailer (and horse) to various conservation areas.
What She Does
- Advising clients on matters which may give rise to litigation, including but not limited to contractual breaches, negligence, real estate, employment, commercial tenancy matters, shareholder disputes
- Drafting materials for the Superior Court, Divisional Court, Commercial Court, Court of Appeal, Builders Arbitration Forum, and the Human Rights Tribunal
- Construction lien work
- Court appearances in the Superior Court of Justice, Commercial Court, Divisional Court, and Court of Appeal at trials, appeals, motions, pre-trial conferences, case conferences, civil practice court, and trial scheduling court
- Preparing opinion letters, various contract documents, releases, statutory declarations, waivers, non-disclosure agreements, confidentiality agreements, minutes of settlement, etc.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and interpreting client agreements, contracts, documents, and leases
- Preparing written and oral submissions for professional discipline matters
- Preparing for and attending arbitrations and mediations
- Retaining and instructing experts (engineers, business valuators, forensic accountants, subject matter legal experts, etc.)