- LL.B - Osgoode Hall Law School – 2004
- B.A (Hons.) – University of Windsor
PRIOR LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
- Thornton Grout Finnigan LLP
- Keel Cottrelle LLP
- Ontario Bar - 2005
- English and Portuguese
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Advocate Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Portuguese Canadian Lawyers Association
- Peel Law Association
fax: (905) 366-9707
Kim Ferreira is an experienced litigator with a diverse commercial litigation practice. Kim tackles each case with a business-focused and common sense approach. His litigation practice includes issues dealing with construction disputes, shareholder disputes, oppression claims, bankruptcies and insolvencies, employment disputes, professional liability claims, and enforcement of creditor rights.
Before joining Speigel Nichols Fox LLP, Kim spent a number of years working at a leading and well-respected Bay Street litigation and insolvency boutique. There he worked on a number of nationally recognized litigation and insolvency cases, while simultaneously running his own litigation files and gaining practical advocacy experience. Kim has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario and in the Québec Superior Court and Court of Appeal.
Kim continues to represent clients in diverse multifaceted commercial claims involving breach of contract, breach of statutory duties, negligence, fraud, and other commercial causes of action. Kim’s clients include small businesses, private corporations, auto manufacturers, directors and officers, creditors, and debtor corporations. Kim continues to build on his previous experience in proceedings brought under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
Kim is able to quickly identify the needs and expectations of his clients. He understands that not all disputes need to end in a trial and is a skilled negotiator who, when the circumstances dictate, will negotiate a successful resolution for his clients. He prides himself on delivering business-oriented solutions to the people and corporations he represents. Kim understands that he serves his clients best by ensuring that they are satisfied with the end result.
When Kim is not busy representing his clients’ interests, he is found enjoying his free time as a husband, father, and avid cross fitter.
- Lead counsel on three week trial involving a lease dispute about a temperature controlled warehouse.
- Represented an insurer in seeking leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Represented owners, general contractors, and sub-trades in various construction lien actions.
- Successfully defended individual defendants against actions brought by the Royal Bank of Canada and other financial institutions.
- Represented tier two lenders in bankruptcy proceedings against debtors and obtaining section 38 orders under the BIA.
- Successfully represented an individual in application to obtain relief under the Partition Act.
- Successfully represented a contractor in enforcing the terms of settlement agreement and in dismissing the underlying arbitration.
- Represented General Motors LLC and General Motors of Canada in the bankruptcy of an electric bike manufacturer. Assisted the original equipment manufacturers in the recovery and removal of its tooling and equipment.
- Successfully represented a cosmetic distributor in the defence of claim brought by an Israeli license owner and in a subsequent arbitration.
- Represented the defendant homeowners against a claim brought by a family member for an alleged interest in their land.
- Represented a business owner in obtaining an order to dismiss a construction lien and the underlying breach of contract action.
- Represented a Car Manufacture in the successful defence of an alleged vehicle malfunction.
- Lead counsel for a defendant, third party logistics supplier, at a three-week trial in an alleged breach of contract case involving the construction of a cold storage freezer facility.
- Represented a Municipality in the recovery of damages sustained by two defendants charged with street racing.
- Represented a Municipality in an action for the recovery of damages.
- Represented a mayor of a Municipality in the prosecution of a defamation action.
- Represented a bankrupt in the successful appeal of Master's order that allowed plaintiff to enforce default judgment in the face of a stay of proceedings order.
- Represented various creditors in applications brought under section 178(1)(d) of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
- Represented various clients in successful summary judgment motions.
- Represented a public corporation in a high-profile dispute with the Government of Ontario over the cancellation of the Oakville power plant.
- Represented foreign financial institutions to enforce their contractual rights as against Canadian debtor corporations.
- Represented national tier 1 financial institutions to enforce their legal rights and remedies as against debtors.
- Represented professionals in discipline proceedings brought before their respective governing bodies.
- Represented a committee of contesting bondholders in the BCE privatization, which involved the world’s largest leveraged buy-out with an enterprise value of $52 billion.
- Represented clients in respect of the defence and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Represented minority and majority shareholders in respect of the defence and prosecution of oppression proceedings.
PRO BONO MATTERS
- Vice-President of the Federation of Portuguese-Canadian Business & Professionals.
- Board of Directors of the Peel Law Association.